Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mass Media and the Decline of Social Values

I've decided to research the effects of sex and violence in the media and its influence on social values in America. There have been many claims that link our overexposure to violence in the media to violent behavior. Theoretically, it logically flows. Oftentimes, an alcoholic is the child of an alcoholic parent. A person who has grown up in an abusive family, is at a higher risk of being in an abusive relationship himself/herself. As one of the articles I used in my research put it.."What we see is what we do..." So the questions is - how much of an influence does our constant exposure to sex and violence through media channels affect our lives, our value systems, our behaviors? Are we responsible for our own social decline?

1 comment:

  1. I see this as being very true. My son who is 13 saw on the family guy the dad (as a joke) holding up a sign that say "I am a rapist". So he did it at school. It later had a kid chasing him down and they got in a fight. My son was suspended for fighting. Not to mention the other kid broke his had on my kids head, and had punched him in the temple. This is why I think tv is very impressionable on our youth.

    ReplyDelete