Saturday, March 28, 2009

ESL?

The topic that I will explore is education in the United States in conjunction with ESL. My general position on ESL is that it does more harm than it does good. I feel that the best way for someone to learn anything is immersion. ESL harms our students by not forcing them to learn English quickly. I also think that ESL does more harm than good because it is a way of segregation. Many times it is even that the students need the ESL classes, but parents that enroll them in those programs. This forced segregation does not allow student to intermingle and learn from each other. Some students may need the ESL, but that does not mean that they need every class taught in their native language. I will need to explore this topic more, but feel that this will be an interesting topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment