Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pondering Potential Positions

Well, here we we have arrived at the start of our position paper... already? It seems as though we've only just started the semester - at least, it does for me. When thinking on possible topics the paper, I am overwhelmed with the wealth of subjects on which to write. Here are a few musings....

1) Energy Resources: No More SUVs

This topic is of interest to me because I care about the environment, and do not wish for it to be continually damaged by our industrialized society dependant on large motor vehicles. It is a somewhat controversial subject, but one I hope to discuss valiantly, decently, and respectfully.

2) Guns: Why Humanity is Better Off Without Them

I think gun control is a subject that may be tender for some, but an issue needing to be addressed nonetheless. My stance is anti-gun. Period.
(The writer cringes in anticipation of the virtual spit-wads being prepared for her....)
Perhaps this will not be the topic I choose, but if it is I shall make my case with evidence and determination, praying that this class will take my stubbornness with a grain of salt. :-)

3) Standardized Computer Software: Ending the Mac vs. PC War

I don't know about you all, but I am tired of this ridiculously inept software we are forced to utilize. I propose a different approach, one that does not involve complicated conversion procedures and expensive programs marketed to aid the consumer in his or her blunderings. More to come on this....

That's it for now. I think this shall be an exciting project for us to undertake, and will provide insight into our diverse student community.

Thank you,
Ariana

2 comments:

  1. Here comes your first virtual spit-wad. haha
    If you get rid of the guns, people will kill eachother with bows. Get rid of those, they will kill eachother with swords. Then bricks. Then fists. A magical disposal of all guns would not be a progression for humankind toward peace, it would be a regression toward our more primitive, and just as brutal, violence. Unfortunately for our nation and the entire world, peace can only be controlled on so many levels, and controlling the tools used for violence isn't one of them (obviously not referring to bombs and other WMDs that kill by the thousands and even millions). I am curious how the unarmed abiders of the law will manage to strip the guns from those who refuse to go unarmed.

    However, I totally agree that it is reasonable for restrictions to be placed on the vehicles people drive, with an individual's circumstances taken in to consideration. I know a family of 7 that needs an SUV, especially when they have belongings with them. But I also know a guy who drives a Suburban with out a single need for it, and I really don't even understand why he would have the desire to put the extra dent on nature and on his wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me rephrase "...MASS-controlling the tools used for violence..."

    ReplyDelete