Saturday, January 31, 2009

Analyzing "Beware of Gender Stereotypes in the Workplace!"

The author of this article, Jane Sanders, dives into how bad communication between men and women in the workplace is mainly due to stereotypes men and women put on each other.  Sanders main strategy was asking questions to the reader to help better understand the points she was making.  I chose this paper because it intrigued me from the first sentence.  With personal experience of having communication problems with the opposite sex at the workplace I guess I just gravitated towards this article more than the other essays provided.


2 comments:

  1. It looks like we chose the same article. I have also had communication issues in the workplace, It's very hard to perform your best at work when people don't communicate. The article made more sense to me than any of the other articles Because I can relate to it Like you, Which is why I chose it. It looks like were on the same path as far as strategies go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    You're right -- the author does ask the audience questions. She literally asks the audience to participate in making meaning of the text.

    I'm glad you found the article relatable (and Misty, too). Just remember, for this particular assignment, you won't bring in your personal response (though this will probably come through as you discuss overall effectiveness of the piece.)

    ReplyDelete