Friday, January 23, 2009

Rhetorical Analysis

I have never blogger in this kind of forum so please bear with me. I really thought about what I wanted to write on and I seemed to draw nothing but blanks. So, I decided to write on the movie Crash. It affected me an a number of levels. It was interesting to watch as all of the characters. In the movie ,everyone was somehow related in one way or another. It made me think of how you should always be nice because you never know when someone might come into your life. It was also interesting because it showed all of the different cultures and how each culture is prejudice in some way. In the end of the movie it was nice to see how simple humanity overcame the color of a persons skin . I believe this movie was ment to show how people of all cultures are similar and how we are all human.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    I think you're correct about this -- "I believe this movie was ment to show how people of all cultures are similar and how we are all human." Indeed, this would be the message -- the function of the rhetoric. What you would want to get to now HOW the film works rhetorically. For instance, the film is not presented in chronological order but rather in a complicated series of interactions, some of which occur at the same of time, and some of which are shown in reverse chronological order. This technique, reverse chronological order, IS a rhetorical strategy. Why did the filmmakers use it? Probably to help accomplish what you highlight: illustrating the inter-connectedness of humankind despite their differences. Can you think of any other stratgies used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I remember seeing the movie Crash. That particular movie is actually an excellent piece of work to examine for the purpose of rhetorical analysis. The message, as you pointed out - (our connection as human beings despite cultural differences), and the emotions that the message evoked from its audience was moving, almost overwhelming. The movie shined a spotlight on all of those things about all of us that we did not want to believe were true.

    ReplyDelete