Saturday, January 31, 2009

"Men are from Vengeance"

Article: “Men are from Vengeance”
This article liberal use of scientific studies and experiments effectively conveys its main idea. The constant appeal to authority lends an incredible amount of credibility to what would otherwise be a worthless piece of writing. Another very important aspect of this writing is it is logical structure. It doesn’t immediately try to convince the reader that it is true; rather it works the reader through small logical steps to reach its conclusion.
This article interested me immediately because of its interesting title. It instantly made one wonder about the implications of the article. It then further drew attention by the writer’s use of logic and scientific studies.
Unfortunately for me in an article like this it is sometimes difficult for me to identify the intended audience. To me it seemed like it would be the readers of this online publication Slate. I had to do a little bit of researcher to find out a little bit more about the publication. After reading some on the paper and the author I decided that the audience would be middle-aged, moderate to left, men and women. If anyone can either confirm or let me know that I am way off base it would be extremely appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Eduardo,
    You ARE on the right track, absolutely. Your observation about the structure is a good one. I think you're absolutely correct about the title: it DOES implicate men, and as such, we might say that the author is using provocation here (deliberately provoking a reader as a hook).


    I am curious about this statement, though: "The constant appeal to authority lends an incredible amount of credibility to what would otherwise be a worthless piece of writing." Why would it be worthless without so much appeal to authority? Should we take this to mean that only writing that utilizes outside sources, or research-based writing, has merit? Or, do you argue so because of the topic at hand (i.e., the author's topic and approach wouldn't work without said appeals).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that this article would be worthless without its appeal to authority because of its controversial topic. I don't believe that anyone would take Saletan seriously if he did not have them. It could easily be seen as making an excuse for ourselves and our behavior, as men. I never meant that only research-based writing had merit, even if I do believe that for arguments sake it makes for a stronger argument. Sorry, should have clarified that. Good to know you are reading these.

    ReplyDelete