Sunday, January 25, 2009

I
am trying really hard to understand the rhetorical strategies. I think and hope I have the minimal basic understanding. I have gone though the readings and the one I read that seemed interesting to me was The Descent of Marriage. In the readings one story goes into the Episcopal Church's decision to promote a gay priest to a Bishop. This situation caused me to have a long talk with my brother who is an Episcopal Priest in Texas. He had to earn his Masters Degree in order to be a priest, so our small family is very proud of him. He however in 2003 was somewhat embarrassed to be a priest due to the events that were happening around his religion. Who knew that what happened that year to divide the Anglican and Episcopal churches would be the center of attention when our first black president was sworn into office. Bishop Gene Robinson was given the opportunity to give the opening prayer for the President's Inauguration. President Obama even included a marching band in the parade which represented the Gay and Lesbian community. Now whether we agree with any ones lifestyle is truly just that, our own beliefs. As stated in the article about the gay Bishop, homosexual persons are children of God. Our elected officials, priest and others can try to analyze why someone is gay, but in the big scheme of life does it really matter? We see President Obama is breaking the glass ceiling in one aspect of race, maybe we will see more acceptance over our life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment