Saturday, January 31, 2009

The article I chose to write about is The Descent of Marriage. I somehow thought this would be about divorce. I happen to have a lot of experience with that subject and also fighting for my children in custody battles. I was in for a surprise when I read the relating articles at the website. First of all the articles centered around Bishop Gene Robinson. He in 2003 was the center of controversy as he was appointed as the first openly gay Bishop of an Episcopalian Dioceses in New Hampshire. This has caused a split of the churches, the Anglican and the Episcopalians. To prepare for the paper not only did I read the article and saw a related video I wanted to write an outline, but was unsure. I did go to the writing center and that is a great place. I had written my paper and had the guy there read it over and let me know how to take my outline and move it towards organizing my paper. I know this subject is more on equality for all. I have to say being that my brother is an Episcopal Priest I had some prior knowledge and insight into our religion and the upheaval of emotions has caused by the appointment of this bishop whose lifestyle is not traditional . I hope in my writing I can convey the author's point of view and explain the issue without expressing my personal views. Which clearly is the reason we live in America, so that we have the right to have an opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Hi V,
    I'm glad to hear that you chose something for which you have interest and context, and that you went to the Writing Center. I can't encourage students enough to take advantage!

    Your personal views will probably come through as you discuss effectiveness of strategies and the piece as a whole -- you just won't be writing in first person to do so. IF you were evaluating the piece rather than analyzing, you would be providing more of the personal. Academic analysis, and rhetorical in particular, demands an objective framing, so that's the reason we stay in third person. I'll look forward to reading what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your personal insight is something to acknowledge... an appreciate

    ReplyDelete