Saturday, May 16, 2009

Assignments, Aid, and Awareness

Well, here we are at the end of the semester. How the time has flown! I am here to reflect on this class and my writing, so here goes nothing...
All of the essay assignments for ENG 100 helped immensely to grow as a writer and student. However, the research project assignment really taught me to read and think critically, write concisely, and work quickly. All of the papers have deepened my academic knowledge of both the literary styles and the particular subjects about which I wrote. As I look into possibly pursuing a career in linguistics, the further study of the English language in written form is something I plan to continue in the fall semester here at MiraCosta. Whether it is 201, 202, or some other course, having learned to write a rhetorical analysis, an argument response, a position essay and a research paper has been an invaluable experience that will stay with me for years to come.

The opportunity to tailor and choose our essay topics was wonderful for me personally. I chose topics that were important, interesting and informative; in the end, I believe I read much more than I wrote for each assignment! I have always been involved with environmental protection and awareness, so being able to write a position paper about it was an exciting process. As I wrap up my portfolio, though, I cannot help but say that I truly loved writing every paper.

The Argument Response was definitely a personal challenge, but it was one that I accepted, and I am exorbitantly glad I did. Between the feedback from Professor Bolaski and fellow students, I was encouraged to read and write thoughtfully, examine my topic from every angle, and to be more confident in my opinion and knowledge. It was thoroughly enjoyable to participate in the workshops (one of my favorite parts of the class) and glean information about intriguing topics chosen by fellow students, and to read and respond to them critically opened up a whole new way of looking at papers for me. Receiving the responses from others was incredibly beneficial as a stressed-out student!! The workshopping process is one that I will continue, whether it be with friends, classmates, the Writing Center, or elsewhere.

I am very glad to have taken this course, as it has aided and inspired me to write in a more quality manner. Professor Bolaski had equipped us all with tools we can use in our daily lives, such as MLA format expertise, internet savvy, and awareness of current affairs. I have learned a lot from ENG 100, and am thankful. Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment