Monday, May 18, 2009

Reflections on a Difficult Semester

In our constantly busy world, it is rare that anyone takes the opportunity to sit and analyze ones methods and habits. Yet, it is becoming something increasingly important as we progress forward in our lives. Fortunately in this class we are given just that opportunity, and I for one plan on taking advantage of it. It is important for me to analyze what my writing because it not only reflects how I work in English but in my school career as a whole, especially when dealing with homework. Having just finished my first college year, after a long absence, I have to take a look at my habits to continue success in school.
The first important thing that this class has taught me is that years in the professional have yet to teach me to do work early. I still procrastinate until the last minute before pulling out my assignments. It is like I hope that they will do themselves. The good thing about this is that in spite of waiting until the last minute to work, I will be thinking and brainstorming about it the whole time. This allows me to pinpoint a topic on which I would like to write about. Unfortunately, by the time I sit down, I have three to four different ideas. I then have to sit and think with a time limit, but I react well to the pressure.
In my writing I very rarely use the full writing technique. I never pre-write, outline, or anything else like that. I sit at the computer, and start typing. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to get a good paragraph, but in the end I like the way that I work. It allows me to from my thoughts and streamlines them directly onto the paper. This means that I do not have to organize them afterwards. This tactic has served me well and I think that if I were to allow myself a little extra time, to reread and refine afterwards my essays would be much better.
Another aspect of my writing is that I tend to try to make the most ambitious paper possible right off the bat. I want to make the most extraordinary paper possible without seeing at how realistic of a goal that is. Coupled with my procrastination, this makes for a very frantic Saturday afternoon. The good thing is that, this means that my writing is usually a bit different from what others write.
I have arranged my writing chronologically, for multiple reasons. I think that it is important to show the progress as a writer. I also believe that the topics and assignments themselves went into greater complexity as the semester continued. It shows how my writing, which has grown from the beginning of the semester, tackled the new more difficult assignments.
All in all, this semester has taught me the importance of being a good student. I have learned that all the things that were told to me when I was younger are true. And I do regret not listening then. I have learned the pains of procrastination with the restless nights that it brings. I have also learned how to be a better student. I do not procrastinate as much anymore, even if it did not show in this class, and I have learned the value of homework. I expect to be much better prepared and hard working student next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment